Inside this issue:
Deepavali Celebration at IIIT-B |
(November 3, 2013)
Electronic system design and manufacturing (ESDM) lab Inauguration |
(November 6, 2013)
|Centre for Complex Systems & Soft Matter Physics (CCSSMP) lab Inauguration|
(November 6, 2013)
|Oman delegation visited IIIT-B |
(November 6, 2013)
|Star Lecture by Mr. Madan Padaki|
(November 9, 2013)
Guest Talk by Dr. Vijay Chandru, Chairman & CEO, Strand Life Sciences
(November 19, 2013)
|Guest Talk by D. R Jnan Dash, President, JRD Software Consulting, San Jose, CA|
(November 21, 2013)
|Completion of 6 months of New hostel building construction |
(November 22, 2013)
|ITSMF-India Board Members
November 29, 2013)
From the Director's Desk:
November was the month of Kannada Rajyotsava which marks the formation day of Karnataka State. We celebrated Kannada Rajyotsava on Nov 1st with a special presentation which highlighted the significance of the day as well as noteworthy facts about our rich and vibrant state. Deepavali, the festival of lights added that extra glow to our Institute, with our students celebrating the auspicious occasion with gaiety and fireworks. Against this culturally rich backdrop, we had several key events and visitors to keep our technology edge sharp. The ESDM and CCSSMP Labs were inaugurated. Our Alumni gathered at their beloved alma mater to listen to an inspirational talk by Madan Padaki, who was the ‘star speaker’ at the event. I am happy to say that our new hostel block construction is on track, and we have completed 6 months since the ground breaking ceremony was held.
|Faculty & Staff|
- Dr. Uttam Kumar has joined NASA Ames Research Centre Mountain view, CA, USA.
- M S Pavithra Rajendran has joined IIIT-B as Senior research fellow on November 6, 2013.
- Archna Rani has joined IIIT-B as Research assistant on November 4, 2013.
- Prof. Chandrashekar Ramanathan visited Oracle Customer Visit Centre between November13-15, 2013 at the Oracle headquarters in California, USA. The objective of the meet was for faculty members from leading institutions from India to interact with product managers of Oracle for potential collaboration with Indian academic institutions.
- Dr. Bidisha Chaudhuri attended the National Seminar on Making Democratic Governance Work: Reinventing Public Service Delivery Systems in India organized by the Department of Political Science, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi on 5-6th November 2013. She presented her paper titled "Shifting Models of Public Service Delivery: Public-Private Partnership (PPP) in E-governance Projects in India" under the session on Empowering the Citizens: E-governance and process delivery reform.
The abstract of her paper:
E-governance, as an emerging form of governance is specifically aligned with the ethos of good governance as it deploys information communication technology (ICT) for improving information and service delivery, encouraging citizen participation in the decision-making process and making government more accountable, transparent and effective. International organizations, such as World Bank, United Nations (UN) and many more have acted as catalyst for promoting the use of Information Communication Technologies (ICTs) under the rubric of ‘E-governance for Development ‘or ‘E-governance for Good Governance’. Since 1991, India’s policy focus changed towards economic liberalization, deregulation, and privatisation which were also manifested in changing patterns of governance and state-orientation towards issues of development. Among many attempts of strategic reforms e-governance emerged as one of the significant sectors in India where considerable reform measures were initiated, ranging from legal framework to policy-orientation to planned intervention. These wide ranging infusion of ICTs into state and governance mechanism have had major impacts on public service delivery models on one hand and on the relationship between the state and citizen and between public and private enterprises on the other.
This paper focuses on the later aspect of e-governance that is the changing relationship between public and private actors. The public-private partnership (PPP) model has been envisaged as an important mechanism for implementing e-governance projects across Indian under the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) 2006. The objective of the study is to trace how PPP models have fared in implementing of e-governance projects in India and what are the major factors that have played crucial role in determining the performance of such a partnership model and finally how it has affected the interactive processes of governance. Collating secondary literature with field experience across different states of India (a fieldwork based case study of Common Services Centre Scheme under NeGP for doctoral dissertation), this paper takes a neo-institutional approach to understand PPP as an institutional mechanism to transform public service delivery through e-governance reform. The overall aim of the paper is to critically understand shifting dynamics of democratic governance through emerging networks of diverse actors.
- A team of 8 MTech first year students visited ABB facility for a day-long event called ABB Young Engineers Day. They participated in a topic presentation event along with students of 5 other engineering colleges of Bangalore on 23, 2013.
- IIIT-B students participated in Decathlon football tournament on November 23 - 24, 2013.
Decathlon organised a football tournament for Engineering and Post graduation students. In that IIIT-B Students Participated and qualified for quater final.
Tournament held in R V College ground.
- Industrial Visit by the students :
Some of the IIIT-B students visited CISCO on November 7 & 8, 2013 as part of their industrial visit. .
- Prof. G N Srinivasa Prasanna and Sunil Kumar Vuppala, presented their work on “Real time Energy Management in Smart Grid”, CIGRE (International Council on Large Electric Systems) in international conference on Smart Grid, Infosys, Mysore, November 13-15, 2013.
For datails : http://cbip.org/Infosys.pdf
- Mr Aditya Ramana Rachakonda, Student Enrolment No. PH2006901 has successfully defended his Ph D thesis titled : “MINING SEMANTICS FROM UNSTRUCTURED TEXT USING A COGNITIVE MODEL ON LEXICAL CO-OCCURRENCES” under the supervision of Prof. Srinath Srinivasa on November 25, 2013.
- Ms. Subha PE (PH2010905) presented a paper tilted "Opportunistic Spectrum Usage Scheduling: Time Series Approach" at MICC'13 conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on November 28, 2013.
- Six undergraduate student groups from IIIT-Bangalore participated in IEEE Xtreme global programming competition. The competition continued for non-stop 24 hours starting from 5:30 AM IST (0:00GMT) on 26 October 2013 to 5:30 AM on October 27, 2013. Student teams were ranked globally among each other. The competition was organized by IEEE in a view to provide students with a new and challenging activity focusing on computer, programming and information technology fields. The top two student teams from IIIT-B were ranked in the range of 200 to 250 among 2000 teams who participated from worldwide. Our first year iMTech
student team stood 13th in India The student names are: Laasya, Trisha and Sharanya Our second year iMTech students stood 15th in India The student names are:
Anusha, Anisha, and Tanmayee
- Students celebrated Kannada Rajyotsava at IIITB on November 1, 2013 :
Special programs organised for the celebration on Kannada Rajyotsava in the campus. A presentation was made by a student (Ananth Hegde) and there was a small program held on 1st November where students gave a very delightful and informative speech about the Karnataka State. The theme was "Unity in Diversity". Following this theme, students from other states too, gave speeches about their own States, which share the same formation day as Karnataka!
As part of Kannada Rajyotsava, organised a game (Kho-Kho) for students on November 10, 2013. Eight teams were participated in this game including Mtech, iMtech and Udaan students. The winner of this game was Mtech 2nd year team.
- IIIT-B Srtudents celebrated Deepavali on November 3, 2013.
- Electronic system design and manufacturing (ESDM) lab Inaugurated on November 6, 2013 :
Prof. Madhav Rao inaugurated the ESDM Lab and Prof. S Sadagopan, Prof. S Prabhhu, Prof. Debabrata Das, Prof. Rajagopalan, Prof. R Chandrashekhar Prof. Balakrishnan Ashok and some of the staff members presented at the time of inauguration ceremony.
- Centre for Complex Systems & Soft Matter Physics (CCSSMP) lab Inauguration :
Centre for Complex Systems & Soft Matter Physics (CCSSMP) lab Inaugurated by Prof. Balakrishnan Ashok on November 6, 2013. Prof. Madhav Rao inaugurated the Lab and Prof. S Sadagopan, Prof. S Prabhhu, Prof. Debabrata Das, Prof. Rajagopalan, Prof. R Chandrashekhar Prof. Balakrishnan Ashok and some of the staff members participated in this inauguration.
- 36th Senate Meeting of IIIT-B held on November 6, 2013
- Completion of 6 months of new hostel building construction on November 22, 2013:
May 22, 2013 we did ground breaking ceremony of our new hostel building. The work is in progress. By this month we completed 6 months of construction.
- Alumni Association organised a Star Lecture on November 9, 2013:
Alumni association Started Star Lecture series in the month of April 2013. As part of that Alumni Association oragnised a Star Lecture on November 9, 2013. Mr. Madan Padaki was the Guest speaker.
- IT Service Management Forum - India (ITSMF-I) Chapter's 1st Conference was held on November 29, 2013 at Taj Vivantha, MG Road, Bangalore :
ITSMF-I was inaugurated by ITSMF-I Board Chairman Prof. Debabrata Das, IIIT-B, and Mr. Santanu Ghose, Country Manager, HP Critical Infrastructure. Nine eminent senior people from Industry and Government gave talk. 75 people from Industry and academia attended the conference. For detail you can see www.itsmfindia.in"
|November 12, 2013
||Mr. Indrani Medhi, Microsoft Research
||"Text free user interfaces for lliterate&Novice"|
|November 19, 2013
||Dr. Vijay Chandru, Chairman & CEO, Strand Life Sciences
||"Next Gen healthcare"
|November 21, 2013
||Dr R. Jnan Dash, President, JRD Software Consulting, San Jose, CA
New Software Forces - Big Data,
Cloud and Mobility"
|November 28, 2013
||Mr. Sunil Kunte, President, Fedelity Business Services India Pvt Ltd
"Market Leadership, Innovation
Long Term Sustenance"
- Mr. George Kopetski, Marketing Director Proxcer, Australia visited IIIT-B on November 15, 2013.
- Moorthy Managing Director, Oxys Technologies Pvt Ltd visited IIIT-B on November 18, 2013.
- Norwegian delegates visited IIITB
on November 18, 2013.
- Oman delegation visited IIIT-B on November 6, 2013 :
Dr Salim Sultan Al-Ruzaiqi, Chief Executive Officer of Information Technical Authority (ITA), Oman along with Mr Mohamed Hamed Al Maskari, Director General of Knowledge Oasis Muscat (KOM), Oman's flagship Technology Park, Objective of their visit to India is to explore opportunities between Oman and India to work in areas of common interest. They are specially keen to look at IT and Media related industries besides looking at successful models of Education and Skill Development Institutes. As part of this they visited IIIT-B.